I have always loved theatre, especially musicals. I grew up near New York City (on Long Island), so I frequently had the opportunity to see shows on Broadway when I was younger. My family weren’t big theatre people, but we made the occassional outing to watch a Broadway production. Mostly, I saw Broadway musicals in high school as school field trips. I never realized how spoiled I was – until I moved away.
Since moving to Chicago in 2001, I haven’t gone to see many shows. Lately, though, I’ve had a pretty good run of theatre outings – let’s say the past year or so. Largely for my own record-keeping, here’s a list of shows, venues, and approximate dates:
- Kinky Boots at Al Hirschfeld Theatre, Broadway – June 29, 2015
- Finding Neverland at Lunt-Fontaine Theatre, Broadway – June 30, 2015
- A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder at Bank of America Theatre, Chicago – October 1, 2015
- Allegiance at the Longacre Theatre, Broadway – December 28, 2015
- A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder at the Walter Kerr Theatre, Broadway- December 31, 2015
- Gotta Dance at the Bank of America Theatre, Chicago – January 7, 2016
- Cabaret at the Bank of America Theatre, Chicago, – February 11, 2016
- If / Then at the Oriental Theatre, Chicago – February 26, 2016
I’ve really enjoyed watching all these musicals. I’ll probably say more about some of these individual shows at another time.
One of the best decisions I’ve made was getting season tickets to the Broadway in Chicago series. Not only do I get to go out and see some great shows, it forces me to take time to be social! It’s a win on two fronts.
I’m really looking forward to seeing more great shows!